Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Like and Unlike

The possible/appropriate meanings of 'Like' in FB:
a) I agree with your post/comment.
b) I like the post/comment.
c) I was entertained by the post/comment.

Questionable or inappropriate uses of 'Like' in FB:
a) On a post announcing the death of someone.
b) On a post informing of some misfortune.
b) On a post that you don't understand or doesn't make any sense.

And 'Unlike' means 'different'. It does not mean that you change your mind about liking something - no matter how persistently FB uses it that way.

But then again.. man-made languages are like that right. For all you know, that twisted meaning will creep itself into the dictionaries because of persistent usage. Oh well.

3 comments:

Al-Manar said...

Well done. Your soliloquy is a good light-hearted read, simple to understand, short and sweet. You ought to have hosts of readers.

Happy new year to you and happy blogging.

madame blossom said...

Dear Pakcik,

I visited your blog. MasyaAllah. May Allah bless you and your wife for your efforts. It's an honour to be read by, and to come across (even in cyber world) someone like you.

Al-Manar said...

It is a very welcome gesture to visit and say hello, leaving a calling card. I do that without fail whenever I visit a home whose owner seems hospitable, one I do not mind knowing better.