Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Between a dream and a memory

There was once when I dreamt that I was flying, literally flying. That is, by far, the best dream I've ever had. Subhanallah, Alhamdulillah.
In that dream, I was flying, almost like an eagle, - macam superman pun ada, but I was not as silly as him. I did not wear my undies on the outside.

I remember feeling a little bit afraid of the height and the speed at first, but very soon got the hang of it, and was enjoying my flight.

I flew over the highways and I flew over the sea, near the beach, past some birds. And I can actually feel the wind in my face.
Then I was flying in town - the town seems to be a little bit futuristic, with tall buildings.. but still I was flying quite fast. Peng here, peng there, nak elakkan the tall buildings.

But while tengah action peng sana sini, suddenly there was a glass building right in front of me. I tried my best to avoid the building, making a sudden dip, trying to pass through a gap kat building tu.
But I didn't make it - I flew straight into the building. I thought I was going to pengsan or fall, but to my surprise.. I actually flew THROUGH the building.. the building was like a hologram, it was not real. MasyaAllah it was weird.. but best nyer!!!!

THEN, I tried to recall previous experiences I've had, the memories. I thought about the surroundings and what happened then, and I realise that at this point, that there seems to be no difference between the memories and my dreams. Both, I cannot go to anymore. It's something I remember but it happened in the past and I cannot reach it or feel it physically anymore. It just remains there in some 'memory bank'. In fact, the flying dream is still vivid in my mind and I can still feel a slight thrill, thinking about it, compared to the roller coaster ride I actually took before.

You know, in our sleep, our soul leaves our body, just like when we die. But since it's not time for us, our soul returns when we're awake.

It is Allah that takes the souls (of men) at death; and those that die not (He takes) during their sleep: those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He keeps back (from returning to life), but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed verily in this are Signs for those who reflect.
Al Quran, Az-Zumar 39:42


And my soul must have really been enjoying herself, in that flight dream.

So now, sometimes, when I want to experience something, I'd wish or doa, that if I cannot go to it or experience it physically, let me dream about it. Because after that, the memory of it is just as good, masyaAllah.