Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Saturday, July 22, 2006

What's in a name?

I was just reading Baby Nur's blog, and she was blogging about her name. (eh nur! I think you're fine with 'baby nur'right? baby of our group.. =D ).. cute entry.

Dulu pun, when I was young(er), or in fact even now, non Malays have a problem pronouncing my name, Erni. Instead of er-ni, as in 'air-ny', the Indonesian name, they'd call me Ernie.

So kat sekolah, teachers and non malay friends would call me Ernie. I begin to not like my name so much, so when I was in upper secondary, I decided to have a different name for me. My friends agreed that I should be 'Norazlin' eeeeeeeeee... budak2 lah kata kan.. don't know what I was thinking. The fake name COULD have been much better.

Anyway, the name stayed with me for at least 3 years, I think. while in sec school, school friends knew me by my real name, and non-school friends only knew me as this 'norazlin'. I was sooo known by that name, that even my parents pun tahu.. sometimes people call home and look for 'nora' or 'azlin' and my mum knows it's for me.. hehe.. dia pun tak kuasa nak layan agaknya.

And the weird part was while I was in JC. Even school friends and teachers only knew me by that name. Look for Erni, and nobody knows that the girl exists. Even on test papers, I must write Nora, else my teacher wouldn't know who. In exams, I'll have to write my full REAL name with Nora in brackets. In the school yearbooks, for 2 years, you will not find a girl named Erni. It's Nora.

Come to think of it, it was quite fun, to have experienced being known by another name.

Now, I'm Erni again. I don't care already if they want to call me ernie. Or if people who corresponds with me only through email, thinks that I'm some english guy.

Erni is my name, given to me by my late darling darling grandmother. May Allah rahmati, roh nya AMEEEEEEEEEEN.