Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Monday, December 01, 2008

muallaf

muallafI watched Muallaf last weekend. It was different. It's thought-provoking.

And for those who have not seen any of Yasmin Ahmad's movies previously, Muallaf is a refreshing 'Malay' movie, or more accurately, an Asian movie.

The main subject of the movie is about forgiving others. The not-main subject is about religious awareness. Verses from the Quran, the Bible and some ancient scriptures were quoted in the movie. And thoughts about religion were boldly put across. And I believe it would move some people to learn more about their own religion.

Some scenes could have been better or more natural or realistic, but then again, I guess most movies would have scenes or actions that is 'over' or not realistic anyway. So.. that's okay I guess.

Oh, and I read in the papers just now, that the movie may be banned in Malaysia? I wonder why.. I mean like.. if they have the cheek to let that stupid movie 'Rempit' be released in Malaysia.. then, I don't see what reason they have to ban this one.

Go watch it.

p.s. No, I didn't watch rempit.. Just the title actually irks me. I just read about their bed and breast-groping scene and I already felt damn sick. Yucks! Do they really have to go so low to sell their movies?? Ceh.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for watching the movie without me , i tot we going to watch it together . its ok .....

madame blossom said...

blum tengok? alaaa.. sorry lah... i tot u were going to watch on opening day with ur cousin? no news from you.. i tot u went already la. I went last sat night, booked last minute, for the last show. :p

Anonymous said...

*transferred from shoutmix, for info*

mel : hi there, i chanced upon your blog while reading up on the movie. I watched it on Sat night and had the pleasure of having Yasmin Ahmad & Sharifah Amani in the same cinema. We asked Yasmin the reasons behind the potential banning of the movie. She mentioned that they wanted her to cut off the nudity of the little boy and the shaving of the head scenes...just thought i'd share this piece of info with you.

Miss Mai said...

seriously its ok,l i understand , i can watch it some other day with some other frens

| nur hafizah | said...

yah! and u forgot me & pink too! oh tak, pink has got a new date for movies. i mean yes, u forgot me .. =)

tapi takpe, lain kali takmo buat lagi k. heh.

Zee SHK said...

YASMIN .. read my blog, babe ..

madame blossom said...

heh.. i think there's something special about that woman.

Marliza Radzi said...

eh eh kenapa dah tayang in S’pore but not here?

tak perlulah tengok Remp-It tu. memualkan.

madame blossom said...

am,

yeap.. memang tiap kali dapat opportunity to watch that movie pun.. i just cannot bring myself to do it.. macam.. still yucks.

Anonymous said...

remp-it? my mil is a fan of malay movies and bought the dvd. i watched bits and pieces when i walked from the computer room to the kitchen for some snacks and no scenes are interesting. wats so good about it anyway? dun waste time watching it. hehehe.

anyway...i watched all of yasmin's movies except this one..not yet. while i must say she's a good filmmaker, some scenes in her films are redundant. of course, she argued about that in her blog. i just don't understand why filmmakers need to put some skin in their films. i know sex (bedscenes, groping in lifts, etc, etc) sells but there must be alternative, yah? nevertheless she's one filmmaker whom i admired greatly.

madame blossom said...

norza,

yes, i think previous movies by yasmin, has got'some skin'.. i think, this one is the 'cleanest' (in comparison to her other movies only) so far. :)