Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Monday, April 14, 2008

of lada hitam and garam


I was exposed to the idea of putting lada hitam (black pepper) and garam (salt), also water where Yaasin is read, to the all the corners of all the rooms of a new house. This will supposedly keep away or chase away jins and syaitans.  

Almost instantly I disagreed.   I questioned, if the act could be considered syirik (that is like placing our faith from other than the One God).  I was so very sure it's wrong.  Totally.  

So, I was told to refer it to any ustaz to check on this.  I chose an ustaz whom I always refer to when in doubt - because i think he always gives clear explanations, with dalil if required.  Or if he didn't, I have no qualms about pressing him for one.  He understands that I seek the truth, and will not think that I'm being rude or biadab.  I wrote to him with zeal and such sureness that I am right.

When I received his reply, I was so very surprised.  He said, that it may be OK.  It depends on the person doing it, how it's done, and niat.  Just because they use lada hitam and garam, does not mean it's syirik.  

Oops.

But how?? I asked.  Is there any dalil for this?  Is there any hadith or verses from the Quran to support this?

Then he asked me - what I think of Panadol?   When I take panadol to cure my headache - is that syirik?  There is also no dalil for this.

Ok I said, but panadol is different.  People have done research and experiments to find the effect of the medicine, and we therefore take it as an effort.. an usaha to better ourselves. then we leave it to God to cure us - tawakkal.  If we take it with niat and thought, that it's the Panadol that's going to cure us for sure.. then that is wrong.  So isn't it different with lada hitam and garam?  

At this point however, I was beginning to question MY own arguments, because SERIOUSLY I have limited knowledge in this area, also totally no experience. How can I be sure it's wrong when I DON'T KNOW.  After all, jin and syaitan are beings Allah created.. they DO exists. And I also believe that some people may have communicated with them because even zaman Rasulullah SAW pun there were some communications with jin and syaitan.  Perhaps some people were told by the jin themselves, what they dislike (perhaps the lada hitam and garam)

AND the knowledgeable mat, the ustaz i mean, said, of course it was based on studies and experiments through experiences, treating people who were possessed by these jins or syaitan. Also through conversations with these beings.  

Sooo, these are what they have studied and applied - and the niat, as in with the Panadol, is still the same.  Only God can save us, only with God's will and everything else is our effort.

I was going to relate it to the penyapu belakang pintu to keep thieves and bad people away, that i've heard of.  I thought that the lada hitam and garam case was something like the penyapu.  But err.. I SERIOUSLY don't think the thieves or bad people are afraid of.. or dislike going into houses with penyapu belakang pintu.  They don't care.  They may even use the penyapu as weapons instead.  But putting up an alarm system.. now that MAY keep them away, INSYAALLAH.  Perhaps like what lada hitam and garam would do to jins?

Now, I know I have no right to say, that it's wrong. I totally have no right to judge in an area where I have no knowledge or very limited knowledge.

In the words of Imam Syafie, which I have used before but so appropriate again now : "I am right, but I MAY BE WRONG.  You are wrong, but you MAY BE RIGHT".

May Allah SWT guide us all. Ameen.

So, am I saying that I will tabur lada hitam and garam around the corners of our new house?  

Well, no actually. At least I don't intend to.  We all still have our choices with regards to our efforts to better ourselves.  They may choose and know of the effects of lada hitam and garam - but for now, I'm just happy to have the azan recited upon entering a new house, and reading verses from the Quran and place my faith in Allah SWT - based on advice given by Allah SWT and Rasulullah SAW.  But I will not say, that those who do it, are wrong.  I respect their choice in this matter, for which I know not much of.


.

8 comments:

hAiRiL/spiderman_pink said...

insha Allah tak syirik. you could research on jinn and the ghaib. but its not wajib lagipun. its just that there's no denial that these creatures exists and they're everywhere around us. like my neighbourhood for example, there's astro (macam-macam ada :D ) and a bunian village. cool tak? ^_^

open house masak ayam lagi eh. pastu jemput! kuikuikui

Yara said...

Erni, where is your new house? Still in CCK is it?

madame blossom said...

hairil,

in ur current neighbourhood ni? and i thought that area macam tak sunyi pun.

:D ayam? insyaallah.. nanti kalau buat open house lagi.

yara,
kind of still in the west, but a bit nearer to the central. :D

hAiRiL/spiderman_pink said...

a'ah. and last month, my neighbour had her household items floating around the house.

and its always an eye opener to talk to people who have the nikmat of the "mata hati". if you have heard before how malaikats would and jin islam would join us during a majlis ilmu. its all true.

"pak, dorang datang dari atas. warna putih dengan hijau" ^_^

Zee SHK said...

babe ..pindah ke condo ke? ada pool? indoor maybe? for muslimahs? he he .. jgn lupa jemput for panas-ing session. maybe who knows, i'll bring some lada itam and garam. nak yg branded? or brengsek? he he :P

madame blossom said...

insyaAllah.. nanti bila da pindah, kalau buat open house gitu.. insyaAllah jemput.

lepas tu.. i cuba isi air dalam baby bath tub.. jadikan indoor swimming pool, boleh? :D

nak bawak lada hitam and garam? nak masak apa?? :p

redtide said...

Salam 'alaik,

Hm, heard of this b4, 'rempahs' such as these are said to be able to ward off djinns as they hate them or even may be injured by them, wallahu'alam..

My opinion is that, these things should only be used as a last resort if there is a case of hostility by the unseen and there is no other way except to drive them away by force..

However, if in the first place, nothing offends, why should we offend them?

Insya Allah, if we practice an islamic way of living, (daily prayers, reciting the Qur'an, etc.) there should be no problem.. Insya Allah.

madame blossom said...

redtide,

my thoughts exactly! :)