Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Sunday, January 21, 2007

pendek kata..

Sewaktu saya kecil dulu, saya sering mendengar ungkapan.. 'pendek kata, itu', 'pendek kata, ini..' Sikit2 diorang berbual aje, sometimes they'd say, 'pendek kata..'

I remember wondering who this 'pendek' is. He must be quite well-known, because not only did I hear my mother mentioning him, but I think I've also heard some other people mentioned his name too.

Then one day, i followed mum and auntie to.. i think it was hardware shop. Don't remember what she wanted to get.. but the shopkeeper was a man, short and stout (eh..like the teapot! only he was without the handle and spout.)

Then, i heard my auntie called him.. 'Eh pendek, kasi kurang la..'

then I thought..'Oooooh! So THIS is that famous man.'

***

Itu aje yang saya nak ajar makcik ceritakan. Actually there is no important point to my story.. cuma teringat aje..

Of course now i know better, that it means, 'in short' or 'in summary' or 'untuk dipendekkan cerita yang panjang lebar ni'..

OH ok..I do have something to say about this story. I think it's very bad to label people with degrading names like that. It makes the water face of the person drop, (it humiliates), menjatuhkan maruah orang itu. Is that good?


On home news, still on the topic of 'pendek', we'd like to report that we now have our own Mawi!


WORLD!




Actually, dia kata he wishes for longer hair, like tam spider..
takpe lah eh hadi.. that can wait till after school, insyaallah.

8 comments:

| nur hafizah | said...

Hahah! You told us that story before and i remembered that it was very funny .. Pendek kata, mmg kelakar lah sgt ..

:D

Aha! Hadi World!! Hahah .. That's a nice haircut .. And pls tell Hadi that Aunty fiza say, he look CoOol ..

Adios!

Anonymous said...

hahaha. world!

Yara said...

Salams Sis Erni,
I think it has become so natural for people to call others by names, normally associated with some physical attributes like pendek, panjang, gendut, boyak, etc. I believe this practice has been going on for years and years before our time. Although it is degrading but some people have come to accept these names without any fuss but that of course does not mean that it should be condoned. However, there are parents pulak yang give their children names that can be a source of humiliation for the child and that is why we have been taught to give good names. I remember a boy in my school many years ago who was called Taik. Kesian tengok dia when other students start mocking him because of his name.

Oh, Hadi's hair cut brings back a lot of memories....of my NS days that is. Time tu mana ada Mawi.

Azer Mantessa said...

hehehe

madame blossom said...

tedd,
I guess u da tahu banyak cerita pasal I eh.. ;)

AM,
He's getting used to the new 'WORLD' hair style

Yara,
true, bad practises need not be condoned and continued.

azer,
:)

Raudha Robu said...

Cakap pasal nama ni, baru sahaja hari tu I helped my ayah to store names in his hp. I found these:

Udang Pendek - a short man who sells prawns kat pasar Geylang.

Rahman Van - 10 tahun dulu dia pandu van, selalu di Masjid Kassim.

Mail (Ismail) Karan - pakcik ni I kenal. Dia electrician.

Yang last I tak boleh tahan, langsung ketawa...

Kamal Bubur - pakcik yang ni pulak tolong my mum masak bubur kat masjid kassim.

Blardy funny.

madame blossom said...

hahaha.. i like the 'Mail Karan'.. cute.

Anonymous said...

*LOL* subhanallaah that was so funny! the wild thoughts children have. eh? this entry of yours reminded me of some of the stuffs my once upon a time young mind used to decipher. insyaa allaah kalau ada masa esok lusa, i'll share my side of the story. sure lepak! *hee*