Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Thursday, February 12, 2009

the science of sleepiness?

as soon as i turned on my laptop this morning, my eyes were feeling very heavy. I could have sworn there must have been some kind of sleeping gas that was emitted from my laptop, as soon as the power comes up. Perhaps some kind of chemical reaction, with the air at the office created an effect similar to sleeping gas.

Of course, it may also be due to the fact that I woke up a bit too early this morning. I was so enthusiastic about waking up 530am, that I didn't really sleep well. I was awake at 2.14am.. surprised that it was still that early, then I awoke again at 4.45am, and couldn't really sleep after that. So effectively, I woke up at 4.45am this morning.

And so, I've been fighting sleepiness since 9.05am. Couldn't wait for lunchtime, just to sleep it off. I couldn't do much work in the morning like that. Actually it's quite a waste. If I was allowed to nap properly for 30 mins, i'm sure I would have been more productive. Then, as I was still fighting sleepiness and oh-so-looking forward to 1145am, about 11.15am, I received an email that I was waiting for.

Miraculously, my eyes were no longer heavy. In fact it was so wide awake.. for which I'm not too happy about, because it was already approaching 1145, and I would have enjoyed my nap the more if I had been THAT sleepy. But alas, by lunchtime, after replying the email and speaking to hubby.. I was not as sleepy already. But still, I took the short nap during lunch time.

Since then, I've been thinking.. about the science of sleepiness. I am quite interested to know scientifically, HOW on earth, from a whole two hours of sleepiness, I could suddenly be wide awake from something like that. I could feel the stark difference just within 1 second. It's not that the work is not so interesting. Now, I'm still 98% awake, yes with a tinge of sleepiness. I hope this stays, so that I can do my WORK productively. Ameen.

2 comments:

Zee SHK said...

Y-A-W-N .. i wish i could afford that nap now ... 10 minutes pun jadilah ... (time is 54 minutes after lunch)

madame blossom said...

:D ur lunch time 1 hr? kalau 1 hr boleh la set aside 15 mins for power nap. mine is 45 mins.. it's either lunch or sleep. :p