Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Friday, September 05, 2008

I can cook, actually

I believe almost all my friends know by now, that I don't know how to cook.
So sometimes, they'd tease me and ask me, if I had cooked the nice dish being served. I'd always give them that, 'yeah, right' look.
Alhamdulillah, I have Rus, who is a natural good cook to help prepare those dishes, and a mum in law, who loves cooking too.

A few days ago, I was happy to learn that my neighbour, who is a working mother of three, can't cook either. I was not happy because she can't cook. I was happy because I found out I'm not the only wife/mother who can't.

We talked about what it is, that is stopping us from cooking. We both agreed, it's the little time we have. Plus having to get loads of ingredients only to cook once or twice and then the balance just rot away in the cupboard/freezer, waiting for us to cook again.

However she told me, she did manage to prepare a dish before, aided by constant phone calls to her mum.

And come to think of it, actually I have too! I remember having prepared dinner quite a number of times before, many years back, when Rus was not around. It's nothing fancy, but it's edible. And I'm not talking about making instant noodles, cooking rice, or frying an egg.

When I was young, I remember I made asam pedas once, at a friend's place. I have also quite successfully baked a cake or two, and I used to regularly bake scones and managed to make some very nice egg tarts too. And just two to three weeks ago, I prepared baked potatoes and steamed some vegetables.

Given instructions, and having the ingredients around - actually I CAN cook, insyaAllah.

Therefore, the reason why I usually don't cook is because, I don't need to right now. And so far, cooking and baking, has not been a natural passion for me, yet.

However, if there comes a time, when I become a full time housewife manage to work from home, and I don't have a maid, I believe I should be able to pick up the skills and improve along the way, from regular practise.

Yeap. Next time, anyone ask me, if I can cook - I'd say 'yes'. I just don't have to, for now.
This is truer than 'no'.

Unless.... the general understanding of the phrase 'can cook' means to be able to cook without any assistance whatsoever?

Oh never mind. I shall not dwell on that.
I can cook, actually.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe we shud have a cooking session together .. well, u noe .. just us sisters =)

insyaAllah, one fine day ..

madame blossom said...

... starring george clooney.


insyaAllah!

redtide said...

just remember.. if Yan can cook..so can you!