Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What makes me go to Starbucks or Coffee Bean

My fingers are itching to write/type something, although I have no idea what to write about.
It's not like my mind is empty - it's filled with so many things, but mostly mundane.

(a few minutes later...)

Oh yes.. I am currently reading this book called 'Starbucked' by Taylor Clark.

Although I KNOW why I patronise Starbucks and the likes (may as well mention la eh.. Coffee Bean..) - I'd still like to find out why OTHER people do it, or at least, what the owners or author think, people are looking for.

I wouldn't say I'm crazy about Starbucks or Coffee Bean, in fact, I'm not even a big fan of coffee! But why DO I go there?

Well, I go there because there are nice comfy seats, to sit on for hours, the place is cosy and air-conditioned, and there are free internet connection, and the place is not as crowded as McD. The signature drinks and the cheesecakes, I CAN live without them lah.

So, if you give me another place with such settings, especially if it's locally or asian-owned, and the drinks and snacks are nice and appropriate, I'd prefer that place over Starbucks (or Coffee Bean) - just because the latter is US-owned.

Today, I have an appointment with Leen, and we're going to go this place where there is Coffee Bean, and there is also Ah Mei Kaya Toast within the vicinity. If we can get internet connect at Ah Mei Kaya Toast - I think we'll be Ah Mei's. Else.. sigh.

Sometimes I feel like a traitor.. but today we NEED internet connection.
And at other times, we NEED nice, comfy seats or an air-conditioned place.
Ceh..

:\

.

5 comments:

Yara said...

Erni, I have only been to a Starbucks outlet once my whole life with some friends. Coffeebean not even once. I don't really like to hang around coffee jpints and I don't need internet connection coz I have no laptop. I also try my best to support the local or Asian retailers rather than the western ones tapi apakan daya the kids dah jadi mangsa Macdonalds =(

madame blossom said...

ah ah seh.. budak2.. mak budak pun (kadang2) - mangsa McD. Of course, branding and adverts is also the 'culprit'

pegi ah.. bukak kedai yang ada nice comfy seats, to sit on for hours, the place is cosy and air-conditioned, and there are free internet connection - dekat dengan bookshop.

Yara said...

Hmmm...have been thinking about it actually. Nak joint venture?

Mak Su said...

roti bakaaa satuuuoooo

madame blossom said...

yara,

itu lah masalah nyer.. kitorang pun have been thinking.. but we keep on thinking and not doing anything yet :(

Only need to take the NEXT step. tapi tapi tapi..

mak su,
kejap.. kejap!.. kedai pun belum bukak. :D