Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Sunday, February 17, 2008

starbugged

I finished reading starbucked by Taylor Clark. and I'm a bit starbugged.

Bugged by just the idea of monstrous, ruthless corporate american starbucks.

Remember when I exclaimed how many starbucks can be found around the vicinity of Times Square KL? Apparently having 2-3 starbucks close to each other IS part of their business plan, in most places that they 'raid'.

I agree with the author (whom by the way is an american), as with McD and many many other american products - they have saturated the world into one big america. It's difficult to find diversities in different countries' towns - except, when you look at the local's faces. Most shops and eateries in town areas are mostly american, everywhere.

Even in america they complain of saturation, what more with places like singapore and malaysia and many other countries flooded with american products and services?

Again, you hear me complain about this - and yet the irony is, every once in a while, I'll still be visiting them, just because they are providing something that local shops have not been able to provide YET. Comfort zone. I am quite sure, insyaAllah, that if there is a local store providing something similar - I'd patronise the local store.

I'm definitely not a starbucks/coffee bean fan, nor a regular customer. But, if I'm stuck looking for a place to be alone or to chat with a friend for 1-2 hours, over a single drink - chances are I'll find those coffee places to be the most comfortable around the area.

I hope that local stores can grow up to the standards, that the americans have set.

On that subject, the other day , in our bid to support local business, we finally went to Ah Mei (even though there was no internet connection, air-con or comfy chairs). I regret to report that it turned out to be a disappointment.

We ordered roti john and a fried chicken. They provided a generous amount of chilli sauce on the roti john plate. I asked for a bit of chilli sauce on the chicken plate also. The china girl at the counter REFUSED to provide. I told her to give a bit only lah.. Then she said, "Cannot.. you want curry?"
"No, we don't want curry. We just want chilli sauce."
"Cannot give chilli sauce. Curry can?"
"But we don't want to eat the fried chicken with curry, can we have a little bit of chilli sauce?"
"We cannot give you, curry, can. BUT, if you want more chilli sauce for the roti john, you can come back for more."

?? How dah dey? It's frustrating - i feel like running the shop myself.

:/

8 comments:

Yara said...

A bit frustrating when service staff ate not flexible. How to be American standard like that?

Zee SHK said...

Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Ah Mei

I've never stepped into any of those above nor patronise them, either here or in Msia. Ditto with TCC and other similar lifestyle cafes.

Maybe, one day, you can give me the reason (or BE the reason) for me to come and sample those comfy chairs *wink*...

madame blossom said...

Yara,

Itu lah..

I berangan, IF I have a business, I'd want it to be better than the American standards. I want it to be of Islamic standards...ensuring honesty, empathy, sincerity and such.

Zee,
Hmm.. i don't know if I should 'poison' u into that. But my hubby told me, there is a local cafe at the airport - comparable to the american's cafe. Maybe we can go sample that one soon. :D

Zee SHK said...

Is there? At the airport, I meant. T3 ke? I baru ajer pi on Saturday night. I thought I went to a mall rather than an airport. Tak perasan pulak ada local cafe, though I think I saw TCC.

Hey you remember Banjos? I used to go there, at Capitol. Back then, it was before Delifrance went halal. It was the only halal-certified eat-and-drink lifestyle cafe. I wish it would be revived ...

madame blossom said...

zee,

i lupa pulak nak tanya if it's at T3. TCC tu apa?

Banjos.. hmm.. macam pernah dengar aje.

ok ok.. i shall explore more local places.

Zee SHK said...

TCC is The Coffee Connoiseur.. something like that. adalah u pernah nampak logo dorang. TCC is small caps, then lopsided sket. ni sepupu CB and SB.

madame blossom said...

:D local ke? nanti i tengok2.

madame blossom said...

Hi. I am Madame Blossom, and it has been a long long time since I patronised starbucks. :)

I'm not going to say I will never. but, definitely not a necessity already, even if I want to spend some time with a friend. insyaAllah.