Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Monday, October 02, 2006

What was I thinking

On Saturday, during class, I got a call from Masjid Al Khair's Women Committee, asking me to update my particulars. A friend of mine, had asked me to register my name, because she feels that I can contribute to the mosque's activities. That was about a year ago and I have NEVER participated or contributed in any way.

Well, it's because, I'm already wifing, mothering, daughtering, working, studying, enjoying.. you see it's quite packed. So, when the lady asked if I could come down the next day, Sunday to help out in their event (they were giving out the fidyah to the poor), my default reply was 'no, i think I can't make it. I'll be quite busy'. Actually that came with a tinge of guilt, because the 'busy' part was not even confirmed. But I was planning to invite my bro over for iftar.

Come Sunday, my bro couldn't make it for iftar. I find myself lazing at home. Reading, then sleeping, then surfing, then sleeping again..


Not equal are those believers who sit (at home) and receive no hurt (not disabled), and those who strive and fight in the cause of Allah with their goods and their persons. Allah hath granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit (at home). Unto all (in Faith) Hath Allah promised good: But those who strive and fight Hath He distinguished above those who sit (at home) by a special reward;
Al Quran, An Nisaa 4 : 95


'What am I doing?! such a waste of time! Da Ramadhan ni.. buat baik kan pahala berganda2.. so go get your ass to the mosque Now!!' I was telling myself nicely.

I got the green light from hubby to go. Ok.. tak payah nak cerita panjang2.. reached there, I offered to take photographs, cause nobody was doing it. So I became the official photographer instead.

Time satu part tu.. after the presentation of fidyah event, I was going to take the photos of these whole group of the organising members, including the MP (member of parliament), the imam, the mosque head etc etc.. They were going to stand in a long straight line, and If I take from the front - i'd have to go very far back kan... So I told them, I'll take from the side, and asked them to all stand mereng sikit ah.. face me.

At that point I told them.. 'OK good, now, you all put your hands out and do the 'tara kuchah'.

Wait......... who was I talking to again?..... Oh yes, the MP, the IMAM and the mosque head!! And you asked them to do the 'tara kuchah'?!?!?! APA hal, kau suruh IMAM buat tara kuchah?? wah piang!

Excuse me, ME - what were you thinking??? Bulan puasa lagi tau...

Luckily or unluckily, there were some small laughters from some of them. I proceeded to take their photos la, as if I said nothing wrong.

But dalam hati.. i don't know what they must be thinking of this woman photographer, who don't even know them personally.
This is really quite bad for a first timer. I hope they don't ban this 'kongajar' woman from the mosque. I hope they don't see it as kongajar, cause I truely didn't mean it that way. Ni pasal da terbiasa talk and joke like that to colleagues and friends. Tak boleh di bawak2 tau. Ceeehh..

But that aside, I nak praise some things about the event.
1. They had a special event for the children who came with their parents, and a young ustaz was telling stories and conducting quizzes and playing games. The children had fun and they learned too! Alas, I don't even know the ustaz's name.

2. The food prepared for the poor and needy looks sedaaaap.

3. The ceramah given to the poor and needy before the fidyah presentation was good, it's about their self esteem. The participants also felt it was good.

I didn't stay for iftar, cause I had to go back and iftar dengan hubby tersayang yang tengah tunggu kat rumah dengan anak2 ku.

I had a good weekend.

2 comments:

Azer Mantessa said...

hehehe they are such sport and i respect that they knew your good intention :-)

madame blossom said...

yup i guess, i hope :)