Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

the power of blog

I have long been aware, that the newspaper or the magazine is not a good source for unbiased views. There are actual people behind the articles in these prints - people like you and me - people with their own opinion on how a certain event affects the rest of us - or about how the event turned out. And therefore, they write it in the way THEY see it, based on what limited information they have. And then there is the editing, and the censorship from the government. In fact, it's the media as a whole - we cannot just accept what is written, just like that. You need to read and view them with an open mind - and ready to hear the other side of the story.

When Pak Lah, first became Prime Minister - and I saw him on TV, leading a prayer at the mosque - I was very moved by that image. I imagined that he probably lead prayers at his home too. It influenced my opinion of him greatly - I think of him as a great person - a great leader, honest, sincere and would probably base his rulings on what has been shown to be the right, the good and best way, throughout the history of Islam. I had a high expectation of him. Perhaps the expectation was too high.

When I saw on the media, and read in the papers - about how Mahathir was criticising his actions, sometimes using harsh words - I was thinking, Mahathir should just let Pak Lah rule the way he sees fit - his time has gone. Though I still admire Dr Mahathir for all that he has done for Malaysia.

Of course, I did not have any other source of information - other than the media.
Then Dr Mahathir started his blog.

I read all his articles, his feelings, his views, his advice - and now I see him in a different light. These are his own words, uncensored, unchanged by the media. And from his writings, now I see him reacting, only like a very concerned 'father'. His opinions of what is happening in Malaysia and around the world, is his own - he is not influenced by the 'greatness' of the Western countries - or afraid of what others might think about his opinions. And now I wonder, if Pak Lah can give the same kind of intelligent yet simple insights and clear directions for the country.

Sometimes, you can tell from reading the person's writings, what kind of a person they are - if they are arrogant, ignorant, vain, only going after power, if he knows what he is doing, and what he is thinking, if he is thinking coherently.. you can tell, insyaAllah. And based on what I've read - I think I still admire him more than the other current Malaysian leaders.

But who knows, perhaps when Anuar or Najib or Pak Lah - start their own blog and we can read their personal opinions - my view may or may not change. Yes, my view is dependent on the information that I receive. New information, may change my view, like how it changed my view about Pak Lah and Dr Mahathir now.

Anyway, I sincerely hope and pray that Malaysia succeeds in raising the standard of living of the poor and common people. in improving their economy, in advancing the country, in keeping it peaceful and comfortable. Ameen.

6 comments:

Marliza Radzi said...

"perhaps the expectation was too high" --- mine too *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Erni, Anwar and Najib already have blogs, Najib was launched recently but not interactive...most likely not written by him. Pak Lah tak kuasa nak ada blog, I think.

A word of caution....Don't believe everything you read on mahathir's blog. If you need to know about him, read other Malaysian blogs too and you will realise his shortcomings.

madame blossom said...

AM,

:| tawakkal..


Yaslam,
I've read the media and learned about his shortcomings from there - and those are worse. Other blogs pun are also personal opinions. And what's written on his blog is also his own opinion. So by reading/hearing both sides lah ni.. i'm of my own opinion now. :p .. which of course may be wrong, or may be right. Allahu'alam.

Do you know Anwar and Najib's blog add? nak tengok jugak.. kalau free.

KR said...

well a person opinion is one thing but it is through one's deeds that a person should be truly measured.

saying something on one's blog is one thing - going out to the real world and make the change in the status quo is another.

base on deeds of the 3 individuals that you have mentioned - which one spells out justice and power to the people?

Anonymous said...

i prefer to sit on the fence when it comes to politics *maybe tak kuasa to some...hehe*. afterall its still the internet. ;)

Anonymous said...

Erni,

Anwar's website is at http://anwaribrahimblog.com

Najib's website is at http://www.1malaysia.com.my