Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

an avid photographer, I'm not

I cannot start another topic before this :
May God save the innocent ones and defeat those arrogant bullies. May the Palestinians, the Gazans be relieved of this tremendous test, may they be rewarded with the best, possibly in this life and surely in the Hereafter. Ameen.

Right. So while innocent civilians are getting bombed and killed in Gaza, and I'm here in the peaceful office....


...I received an email from Aida about some best National Geography photos.. awesome. I have a book at home from BBCNews and the pictures are also awesome, makes me speechless when I see them.. Subhanallah. I wish can I see those sights and capture those kind of beauty, myself.

Coincidentally just before i got that email, my colleague was just showing me his lenses, which he bought at USD1800 I think.. he said it's good for indoor photoshoot and portrait. He asked me if I'll buy this lens in future.. Well, of course not. I don't think I'll spend that much on a lens.

As it is, I already have another lens, which I hardly ever use. I guess I'm not a real avid photographer, cause I can't be bothered to carry or, if I DO carry, I can't be bothered to change the lens.. I just don't feel the drive to go to that extent yet.. in fact I feel limited with some of the lens...like the other one I have. I don't have time to explore.

Based on my own limited experience.. I'll just stick to my kit lens, which is good enough for me so far..the only thing I'm very frustrated about is that I cannot take macro shots with it.. even with the other lens I bought.. yup..I bought the other lens because i THOUGHT i could take macro shots with that.. but noooooooooo.. apparently.. real macro lenses are much more expensive - and I seriously can't bring myself to go buy some expensive lens that I know I will hardly use.

I don't think my love for photography is in the equipments, but of course I do want to capture those sights I see or those views I have, exactly as I see them, but sometimes you cannot capture that with your normal cameras. So that's where I hope this simple DSLR can help. But I have not been having much luck with low-light situations.

Maybe I should just get a high end point and shoot camera. They have all kinds of features now, that matches the DSLR, but without having to change lenses every now and then. Only thing is, the picture may not be as sharp. But of course, my husband will surely nag at me, if I go get yet another camera.

I should just go for a photography course, when I can squeeze out more time out of me.
Or Norza.. wud you have time to give me a pointer or two?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

salaam sis..are you using a nikon? you can chk out kenrockwell.com for lens reviews. its good that you know what you like to take.

i hate changing lenses too and i carry the same lenses for assignments.

if you like macro, you can chk out tamron 90/2.8. its performance is on par with nikon's macro lens ard that range...i'm also using it for macro and portraits as well (although it can be a tad too sharp but i edit my pictures beforehand anyway).

for low-light situations, may i suggest the 50/1.7. a constant zoom may help too if you dont like prime lens though a prime can eaily beat ur kit lens (and many zooms) interms of sharpness.i buy all my lenses 2nd hand to cut cost on clubsnap...u may take a look there for some good deals.