Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Friday, May 02, 2008

ayat ayat cinta

I knooow.. you guys have been talking about it like years and months ago. but i just saw the movie. I haven't read the book yet. Now I'm interested to own and read the book.

what do i think of the whole story? it's intelligently done. Subtly educational and informational. Truly inspirational.

As for the movie, I like it. And I have a few observations. Positive ones first.

1. I love it that in the movie, the actors and actresses quoted some verses from the Quran and hadith that supports their action or speech in those scenes.

2. For the first time, I see polygamy being portrayed in a positive light, in the movies. And they did not fail to also share some inevitable issues in polygamy - such as jealousy and fairness.

3. And the Aisya's emotional strengths and weaknesses - is inspirational to me. Made me cry. I always cry watching scenes where a woman tries and/or succeeds to withhold her emotions and needs, for the benefit of others. I want to be like that.

4. Apart from that, it feels like that hero, is in heaven and surrounded by bidadaris - cause all the leading ladies in the movie are extremely pretty. =D


Now, the not so positive ones..

1. The movie teaches us about some dos and don'ts in Islam - e.g. touching a non muhrim of the opposite sex is forbidden, and here in the movie, the actor and actresses are *sigh* touching each other. Yes, yes.. they are 'married in the movie' but that DOES NOT change the fact that they are ACTUALLY NOT. SO, it's ironic in that way. This part, I'm disappointed. The movie, it's not walking the talk.

2. They could have done much much better with the selection of the voice for the Quran recitation by the guy. Tak payah over. It was painfully obvious that it's not his voice.


That's all about the movie. I dont' want to reveal too much, for the benefit of those who don't know about the story yet.

As for the author of the book, Habiburrahman El Shirazy, I think he is brilliant. Actually, when they were talking about how good the book is and briefly what it was about, I thought it was written by someone in the Middle East or something, and translated to Malay. I am surprised to learn that the author is a young man from Indonesia.

This book, ought to be translated to other languages and distributed all over - like The Kite Runner. I'm quite sure it'll be a hit. InsyaAllah.

.

9 comments:

Marliza Radzi said...

love love love the book! can't wait to watch the movie.

I read that fans of Kite Runner the book would be utterly dissappointed with the movie. but I have to give it a watch to judge it myself.

Mak Su said...

saya lagi ler outdated, tak tgk movie or baca pun crita ni

Anonymous said...

yes, u shud read the book. it's a good one.

:)

redtide said...

Salam.. A-ha.. Good movie? Hm, wait till you read the book!

Personally, i'd rate the book 9/10 and the movie 4-5/10..

Low ratings for the movie because the story was mainstreamed probably to cater to a wider range of audience. The original was much better and more Islamic.

madame blossom said...

AM!

hmm.. from redtide's ratings, looks like u'll be a teeny weeny bit disappointed.. or not. I don't know I have not read the book yet.

Kite Runner.. my gf zee - also said the movie is a disappointment, when compared to the story related in the book.

But I wonder how a person who has not read the book, would think about the movie.

anyway, nanti da tengok movie ayat2cinta - u give ur reviews pulak.


su,
kat my friend.. diorang beli buku ni kat msia..she bought in jb. I'm quite sure u boleh jumpa kat masjid india ke.. kino ke? AM u dapat dari mana? I pun tengah cari ni..

fiza,
itu lah dia.. ni tengah cari - tak nak pinjam.. nak beli.

redtide
:D now i REALLY want to read the book.

Anonymous said...

if in jb, try the shops at larkin or maybe at kotaraya, angsana bookstores like BADAN also have.

yeah, the book is a must-read :)

hAiRiL/spiderman_pink said...

the book is 100x better than the movie. fahri and aisha is somewhat different from the one portrayed in the movie. for intimate stories like this, in my opinion isn't fit to print on screen.

umm i frequent malaysia :P tell me if you want to kirim the book

madame blossom said...

fiza,
thx - nanti bleh bilang hairil. :D

hairil,
nak! tolong belikan. :)

marlina said...

read the book. watched the movie. yes, in that order. pendapat terpulang pada masing-masing individu. ada pros, ada cons. nanti boleh discuss.