Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Sunday, February 11, 2007

dog's saliva considered najis

In class we are now studying Fiqh Muqaaranah (Fiqh Perbandingan) where one of the differentiating opinions that we need to research on, is on dogs.

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: The purification of the utensil belonging to any one of you, after it is licked by a dog, lies in washing it seven times, using sand for the first time.
Sahih Muslim, Book 002, Number 0549


It is jumhur ulama (collectively agreed by ulama) that dog's saliva is najis. But we need to determine, the other parts and find the different opinions.

So, while I was trying to find the materials, on the internet, I ended up blogging instead learned something new about dogs. The thing is, although since young, I've accepted that dogs are considered najis berat, I've never really understood why. But kita terima aje hukum ini.

The thing is, I didn't know dogs normally eat faeces (their own and others). I didn't really think it's true, until I looked it up and I found this article>>.

So.. it's no wonder that dog's saliva is najis.

And now I really wonder how some people can allow their dogs to lick their faces or even their babies. Eeuw.




*************

p.s.1 = The new tag is 'advance our knowledge' as in the ayat from Al Quran, Ta ha 20:114

High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth! Be not in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to thee is completed, but say, "O my Lord! advance me in knowledge."

فَتَعَالَى اللَّهُ الْمَلِكُ الْحَقُّ وَلَا تَعْجَلْ بِالْقُرْآنِ مِن قَبْلِ أَن يُقْضَى إِلَيْكَ وَحْيُهُ وَقُل رَّبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا

So insyaAllah, we share and learn - when I find it appropriate to do so. :)

p.s. 2 = I'm not going to post any pics here.. although I have a few many. As I don't want to you all to think that the people in the pics, reminds me of dogs or dogs remind me of them. =D

Nanti.. next post, coming soon, insyaAllah.

4 comments:

Azer Mantessa said...

thx for the link ... a worthwhile reading :-)

Anonymous said...

http://www.happeepill.com/cartoons/enjetsemut/malay2me.swf <- link for the enjit semut flash.

agreed with the entry, but i believe we should give the same respect as any other being created by Allah swt, and not use/portray them as a degrading element amongst ourselves, in comparisions of the nature of the dog itself. wallahu a'lam, for he knows the reason for the creation of His beings.

Yara said...

Thanks Erni for the link. Like Azer said, a worthwhile read.
Anon's comments are also true about all of Allah's creations.

By the way, people always say that dogs tend to look like their owners after some time, so I wonder whether the owners eat faeces too..heh..heh. Actually, some people do eat faeces when they eat certain food without cleaning the internals thoroughly but they might be unconciously doing so.

madame blossom said...

azer,
:)

anonymous,
Tk u very much!

And sorry, I didn't mean to degrade dogs actually. But I guess I unknowingly did it, with that implication.
Thanks for the reminder.

Kadang2 we just main cakap aje, without thinking how the message may be perceived.
It's a weakness of mine, that needs much improvement.

Yara,
Owners eat feaces? Euuwww! tu da lain cerita!

Not only dogs, i think all kinds of pets pun.. people pernah cakap.. they tend to look like their owners or the owners look like them..
Personally, I have never seen it pulak.. Allahualam. =D