Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Friday, February 24, 2012

these happy events

I have so many things to express. So many things going through my mind, one after another.

[One after another - reminds me of the paper Leen let me read on 'multi tasking', which was found to be counter-productive. So one AFTER another is better than thinking/doing a few things at the same time.]

One after another are also the blessings I have received from Allah SWT in the last few weeks, among His other 'permanent' blessings (such as IMAN and the ability to breath and eat and go to the toilet normally, family, friends.. countless). Alhamdulillah!

I posted 3 of these rare blessings on my FB wall yesterday - I felt that I had my reasons. The first was about my films which will be screened to the general public. I'm hoping with the announcement, some people who had wanted to see my films can go and bring their friends if they want to. I'm also happy that it will be shown to the general public because the objective of making these films is to spread the messages contained in the films.

Then, about not being able to BE at the screenings because, alhamdulillah, I'll be in Makkah doing my umrah, insyaAllah. Then, suddenly I received news that my son won a golf tournament in KL. I felt I had to share this with friends and family who would be happy to know and would probably feel hurt if we kept quiet about it.

By this time, I suddenly felt quite tired of seeing my own posts about 'good' things happening. Don't get me wrong; of course I DO, I DO appreciate and am happy with these blessings. MasyaAllah, alhamdulillah - la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah.

However, it also got me thinking about a few things.

1/ I was afraid that people may think that I don't suffer from any misfortune - nothing bad ever happens. Of course that is not true. Surely some bad things also happen to us - causing us to grieve or be angry or disappointed. However, normally I would accept that in silence and supplicate to Allah SWT for assistance, and perhaps only share it with a few close, trusted friend/s.

2/ in the few moments of one good news after another, I had a sensation, or should I say, a realisation that as a normal human being, put on this earth, it's not normal for one to have only blessings and no difficulties at all. It seems unreal and unnatural. I started to worry. I felt that if we constantly get these blessings... (wait... I shouldn't use the word 'blessings' - being alive is a blessing in itself, and that does not equate to happiness all the time. What shall we call those things? Achievements? Things that gives us temporary bliss and happiness? Oh, let's just call it 'happy events') So, I felt that if we constantly have these 'happy events', it stunts our emotional growth, our ability to emphatise, to withstand hardships, to learn.

I see a bit more now, how difficulties and challenges are the ones that nourish us as human beings in our growth to be a better human being.

3/ I, my family, and everyone else must remember and understand that these 'happy events', the good things we receive on this earth are all a part of the series of tests that Allah gives to his servants. It's important for us to realise that these are all very temporary, that it can be taken away at any time, just as it has been given to us. As such, we must not be too proud of it, or too attached to it.

"That which is on earth We have made but as a glittering show for the earth, in order that We may test them, as to which of them are best in conduct."
Al-Kahf 18:7


We must remember to thank Allah... and I see how the surah An-Nasr acts as a good reminder for us. We praise Allah for these successes, not forgetting to seek forgiveness from him in our happiness, in fear that even for a moment, we forget that all these comes from Allah SWT.

"When comes the Help of Allah, and Victory,
And thou dost see the people enter Allah's Religion in crowds,
Celebrate the praises of thy Lord, and pray for His Forgiveness: For He is Oft-Returning (in Grace and Mercy)."
An-Nasr 110:1-3





p.s. ** I'd like to say here, that when I quote a translation of the Quran, that, firstly, this is not THE word of Allah - it's a translation. Some ideas or true intent of the original words, most of the time, they get lost in translation. What more the word of the Creator, whose knowledge is way beyond what we can even begin to comprehend.

Another thing is that, these ayats that I quote, is in relation to how it applies to ME in MY life. Or how it affected my thoughts or triggered it, within my own capacity. It may affect you in the same way, or not. Or it may affect you even more. I feel that our relationship and experience with the Quran, for each of us, will be in our own unique ways. Sincerity is key. May Allah guide us, and may we be guided, when we take the Quran as one of our guide (the other is Rasulullah SAW), as Allah has asked us to.

No comments: