Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Six Degrees of Separation

I've seen a book about this before. I considered buying it, but I had other books I wanted to read too, so I didn't get to that.

It is said to have been proven, that by only 6-7 chains of acquantainces or less, to the right chain of people if I might add, I can actually be introduced to Tariq Ramadan or Barrack Obama or Jason Mraz or M Nasir or Afdlin Shauki. M Nasir and Afdlin Shauki being closer to us, I believe it could be even just 2-3 degrees of separation or less. Wow.

But then again..do I have the TIME to be introduced to those other 1,2,3,4,5-6 people in between? As it is now, I am already having a hard time, trying to catch up with everyone that I'm close with, not even those that I know.. but close with.

I guess with acquantances or even within a non-immediate family - we move on. We will not continuously and always be available to catch up with everyone. We get to know new people, and we inevitably lose touch with some whom we have been close to before. It's not that we don't appreciate them or we don't love them.. it's just the circumstances change - the degree and nature of our need for each other's company, change too. But I do pray and hope, that I will continue to be available to those who genuinely needs me, to those whom I can be of some positive effect.

Yes, the end of this entry, does not seem to be totally related to the beginning - but you know. that's how our thoughts go. That's how our actions are too, sometimes. We aim for something.. we go ahead and do it, and end up achieving something else... and I know I'm wandering further.

To cap this entry, this knowledge about the six degrees of separation, is like a trivia thing. It used to intrigue me a bit, but not anymore. It's so not important and doesn't affect me at all. I guess I won't be buying that book.

No comments: