Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Friday, March 20, 2015

Learning from the Koreans

Yes, I watch Korean dramas.  It's not something to brag about because their writers and directors are so good at drawing you into the story.   Well, not ALL dramas or movies are good.  Only some that I enjoyed and had me thinking.

As in every matter - there are the good and the bad points.   But the point I want to bring up here are the good traits that I've observed in the Korean culture, that I hope will influence the Korean show fans.  I'd like to share a couple here :

They always 'wish' for another person whom they come into contact with, good things or say words of appreciation.   
E.g. to fellow workers, before leaving their workplace they'd say : 'You've all worked hard', or  'Good work'.
To the vendors they purchase from 'May you get good sales'

Humility when meeting with new people or with someone older.
It's not just the bowing out of respect -even in the faces you can see humility and respect.

 We are so lacking in the above two traits.  
I hope those good traits brush off on us who watches them, and the rest.


"O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things)."
The Quran, Al Hujurat 49:13 (translation of the Quran by Yusuf Ali)


[ I know I've quoted the above verse quite a few times.   Shouldn't we always remind ourselves?]

No comments: