Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Saturday, March 29, 2008

the alchemist & Islam at the Crossroads

I have to admit, I was first excited about the book, more because of the hype. It is said to be THE book and was read by a lot of famous and/or good people - people like Bill Clinton, Julia Roberts, Afdlin Shauki, good Muslim brothers and sisters I know.

It's a folklore. With interesting philosophical statements about life. The story itself is more or less simple and somewhat mystical.
Interesting and thought provoking - is how I would describe it. And I like the idea of being a shepherd. Our prophet was once a shepherd.

3 interesting phrases/word, from the book, that I still remember.

1. Maktub
It's arabic - it means 'written' or in this context, fated.
Being a Muslim - of course I agree with this. Memang everything da tertulis.
This word was being repeated by a Muslim character in the book.

2. Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself
I agree with this also. So often, it is true. And as long as you don't try - you'll never know.
Anyhow, insyaAllah, we will be able to withstand it, because Allah will never burden a soul, more than it can handle.


3. When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it
Ok.. this one... I appreciate the motivation, but even when I first read it, i felt like it doesn't sound quite right.
Then I read Mohammad Asad's : Islam at the Crossroad. I found something similar, but more accurate. It says:
The religious human being knows that whatever happens to him and within him, can never be the result of a blind play, of forces without consciousness and purpose. He believes it to be the outcome of God conscious will alone, and therefore, organically integrated within a universal plan.

When i first read that, i let out a sigh of contentment - i couldn't agree more - and it is so beautifully written.

No comments: