Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Sunday, December 01, 2019

An attention span, shorter than that of a goldfish :(

https://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/

This is a real problem!  It truly is.  I hope I can make it through posting this, without being distracted AT ALL.

In my prayers, I start by telling myself to focus and I end surah Al-Fatihah, already thinking about something else.   I try again and tell myself to focus during ruku' and I find myself, not even realising I've finished my 1st rakaat, deep in my train of thoughts of yet some other thing.   This is so bad.

Is there a doa to ask for focus?

I have discussed this predicament of ours before with others.  To me, our brains adapting to rapid changes in topics started from the NEWS, yes the news on television.  How we jump from one news to the next, from local happy news, to sad international news, to the weather.  We have started to train our minds and heart to move on quickly to the next thing.

Then FB, Twitter and IG came and ensured that the trend continued, and we have become worse. Scrolling from one post to the next, in an even shorter time than watching the news.

I actually now include in my doa (when I remember!) for Allaah to help me keep away from IG.   I've made doa for FB before - and alhamdulillaah, and may Allaah keep it that way - it has been answered and I am mostly off FB - unless I have to check it for some business related activity.  However I can easily leave it. Now my challenge is IG.

May Allaah help me, in keeping my focus, training our brains and heart to be in the moment, starting with solat and then everything else.  Mindfulness.   I must read back my mindfulness notes.

I have sometimes accidentally left my phone at home and would spend the whole day without the phone and it actually feels more peaceful.  I have intended to make it a regular practise to leave my phone at home once a week, for a start - but I haven't started.   So when I accidentally leave my phone at home - I am actually thankful.

Let's start a new trend - a handphone free day, we can pick which day works best for us.
(How to contact? share  your home/office landline number with important people, or send email - which you should check at some few hours interval only.)

May Allaah help us all.

No comments: