Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Monday, August 19, 2013

Where is the sincerity?

Sincerity is such a subtle and deep feeling.

Sincerity is to not expect anything back from the recipient.  Not at all.  Not even a 'thank you'.
Sincerity in Islam is to only hope for Allah's reward when we do something for other people.

It is spoiled by the media and the masses blatant or ignorant use of the word.  Now you hear it and it almost means nothing special.
But it is something special and deep that most don't understand.

So much so that when we say, we sincerely want to do something, people still ask us what we are expecting out of it.
When we propose for people to sincerely volunteer or contribute, they insist that we should spend some money to provide some token of appreciation.

Where is the sincerity?

Some governments and organisations use public funds to provide services and assistance for those in need.  It's not enough, there are still a lot more to be done, a lot more people to assist.  And then, some government and organisations spend some of that public funds to hold gala dinners to reward themselves for their work, on top of their usual monthly salary.

Where is the sincerity?

It has become such a norm now, that people don't bat an eyelid, using public funds or zakat money to reward themselves. It has become a norm.  They really feel it's wrong NOT to do it.

But norm does not equal right.

Some may think nothing of it. But I worry a lot about it - I don't want to have to answer on Judgement Day.  I think I have already enough sins on a daily basis.  I don't need to risk adding this one.

So please excuse me, if I decline to attend volunteer's appreciation dinners, or extra activities to entertain volunteers etc.   It's not that I want to be anti-social. It's not that I don't want to meet my friends.  We'll meet on a different occasion insyaa Allah.  An occasion where we spend our own money to treat ourselves.

You may disagree with me.  You may be of the opinion that it's okay or required to spend public funds to reward staff and volunteers.  To keep them happy and therefore keep them involved.  (Here again I have to ask, where is the sincerity?)

We can agree to disagree.  But on joining, don't force me.

On Judgement Day, Allah will clarify for us, the things in which we differ.  I wish to be on the safe side.

And Allah knows best.

And they feed for the love of Allah, the indigent, the orphan and the captive 
- "Verily we feed you for the sake of Allah alone: no reward to we desire from you, nor thanks"
~ Al Insan 76:8-9 (Translation of The Quran by Yusuf Ali)



No comments: