Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Monday, February 18, 2013

Swedish Visiting Cake

I am in love.

I don't remember the last time I've ever felt this way about any cake. Maybe the red velvet, but still it's not as strong as this.

It's called the Swedish Visiting Cake. People (like Tina) say.. story goes that this cake is so simple to make that Swedish womenfolk prepare them for guests just as they see them coming down the street. Thus the name kot (oh.. my Malaysian influence masih ada yang melekat sikit2)

What happened was, I went to KL over the last weekend. It was such a fruitful trip, alhamdulillah. Or should I say, cakeful?
I got to visit my adinda Anis, whose wedding I missed. Now she has moved in to her new house and is delivering their first child soon! Semuga Allah permudahkan segala urusannya. Aamiin. I slept over at her beautiful new house.

The next day, Tina took over, as in I was passed over to Tina. She brought me to her beautiful home (I'm not exaggerating, they have beautiful houses). She taught me how to make this cake. :)

Ingredients are quite simple and you don't even need an electric mixer. And I just found out I love lemon zest, and I also just found out what exactly it is. It is actually grated lemon skin (the yellowish outer most skin layer, not the white part). Ready in 5-10 mins. Bakes in 25mins.

Don't be fooled by the simplicity of preparing it. It looks almost like any other cake, but there is a pleasant surprise when you put it in your mouth. The lemony, crunchy chewy taste that I love.

Insyaa Allah nak try buat this weekend!
(Is this Erni talking?)

Photo Credit : Tina (check out her bakes on Instagram : ms_tinaz)

The source recipe here.

And here is my revised recipe, based on my own taste and convenience. I've used salted butter and make do without salt, vanilla and almond essence.
I've also reduced the sugar, cause I don't like the cake to be that sweet - we're sprinkling sugar on top anyway.


Ingredients (in order of appearance)

110 gms butter, melted and put aside.
150 gms sugar
1 big lemon, for lemon zest.
2 large eggs
128 gms all purpose flour
Sliced almonds


1. Bismillah.
2. Preheat oven at 180 deg C.
3. Butter a round tin container (about 20cm in diameter).
4. Grate the lemon skin to get the zest, into the sugar. Then with your fingers, mix them well until you get a lemony aroma.
5. Break 1 egg at a time and whisk to blend them well.
6. Put in the flour and using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour until well mixed.
7. Pour in the cooled melted butter and fold in until all mixed well.
8. Pour into the tin cake container and distribute well.
9. Sprinkle sliced almond all over the top.
10. Sprinkle a bit of sugar all over the top.
11. Put into the oven and bake for 20-25 mins - until the top appears golden brown.
12. Leave to cool for 10-15 mins and you're ready to dig in.





No comments: