Madame Blossom's Book of Poems

Thursday, January 22, 2009

feels like I'm on candid camera

Maybe the younger generations would not know what candid camera is. Well it's like 'Just for laughs'
But I think Candid Camera was done with the victim's dignity more intact, then the shows nowadays. Nowadays, most reality shows, would just strip the contestant's dignity to the bones - but that's another matter altogether. What I was going to say here is that, just now I felt like I was on candid camera.

I went into the pantry just now, and liza was there. As I walked towards where she was, suddenly there was a LOUD farting sound. It seem to have come from under the sink. I asked liza, 'was that YOU?' Of course I was joking. Then the sound came again.. and again, in different pitches. It's quite funny. "What IS that?" I asked Liza. And that was when I started looking around the pantry to see if there was any hidden camera.

Liza left the pantry, and the sound was still heard now and then.. (not that I suspected Liza was the one making the sounds la..). A few people came into the pantry a while later, and that sound, did not make anymore sound! Now I was really starting to think if I'm being tricked. Then the auntie came in and I asked her about the sound (by imitating it.. ceh). Then the auntie said, that sound has been coming on and off since morning. Heh.

This would have been the second time I felt like I was on Candid Camera. The very first time I felt that, was a long time ago. At that time, a boy who shared a cab with me, started panicking, as if he was going to be kidnapped - and I'm not exagerrating.
We were going to a 'Panasonic' office in Tuas. As we passed a Panasonic factory, and the cab did not stop, the boy started to panic already. He was seated beside the driver and he turned towards the driver and asked, 'Eh?! that was Panasonic right? How come you didn't stop there?' The driver said, 'No, not that one.. haven't reach yet.'

Then, just less than a minute later, we passed another Panasonic factory, and the driver did not stop. This time, the boy really panicked and exclaimed, 'Eh?! that's Panasonic also what?!?'. The driver said calmly in a fatherly way, "We haven't reach there yet.. not this one."

"But I'm going to Panasonic! Where you going?!" the boy asked the driver. Then the boy turned around towards the 3 of us ladies, seated at the back and pointed, as he asked each of us in a panicky manner, "You going to Panasonic right?! You going to Panasonic right?! You going to Panasonic right?!' I was going to grin already, but I maintained my composure, and just smiled politely instead. At that point, I actually started to look around the cab's top to check for any hidden camera, seriously looking. Didn't see any.

Since then, I've always wondered if anyone else, has ever felt 'like they are on candid camera'. It is to be in a situation, so ridiculous, like the kind that could only be made up by these trick shows.

Then I was happy and relieved to learn during an IT course, that another person HAS had that feeling too. The lecturer was explaining how ridiculously silly a guest-voice-message system was, at one of the hotels he ever stayed in. It kept repeating a question after every action required, which he felt, was so ridiculous. And the lecturer said, exactly in these words, "I felt like I was on candid camera!" At that time, he too, started to look around the room and ceiling for any hidden cameras.

I'm not alone.

Hmm.. is this a mild form of paranoia that is beginning to creep into us in this modern crazy world? Thanks to the likes of Candid Camera, Gotcha, Just for Laughs, You've been Punked and Wakenabeb?

Wa tak tau la kan.

No comments: